The Maryland wrestling team (0-5, 0-2 Big Ten) has lost its last 25 conference duals, and the end of that streak may be a long way away.

In a season that started with hope and optimism, injuries and a lack of depth have crippled the Terps in an 0-5 start, and things don’t get any easier with No. 7 Nebraska visiting College Park on Friday.

“Our guys need to go out there and just compete,” coach Kerry McCoy said. “Not be worried about what happened last week, or what the other team is ranked. Just go out and compete.”

[Read more: Youssif Hemida is back. Can he save Maryland wrestling from a winless season?]

The Huskers have one of the best lineups in the country that features seven ranked wrestlers, including No. 2-ranked 157-pounder, Tyler Berger.

Maryland’s 157-pounder, Adam Whitesell, is embracing the challenge of facing one of the best in the country.

[Read more: Maryland wrestling’s Big Ten struggles continue in 36-3 loss to Indiana]

“It excites me,” Whitesell said. “It definitely gives me something to look forward to every second I’m in practice. I want to show everyone that I’m ready for this.”

Nebraska is also home to No. 6-ranked 165-pounder Isaiah White, No. 9-ranked 174-pounder, Mikey Labriola, No. 4-ranked 184-pounder Taylor Venz and No. 12-ranked 197-pounder Eric Schultz.

Maryland’s sole ranked wrestler, No. 8-ranked heavyweight Youssif Hemida, will take on No. 15 David Jensen. Hemida is 2-0 all-time against Jensen, including one by pinfall at last year’s Big Ten Championships.

McCoy knows his team has been sputtering so far this season but says adjustments being made in practice and the film room give him confident the group will start reeling off some wins.

“It might sound cliche, but we’re not even close to wrestling the best that we can wrestle,” he said. “We’re working hard and we’re training hard, and it’s just a matter of time before it clicks.”

While he’s not been pleased with the results, McCoy believes that by the end of the year, his team will be vastly improved.

But 149-pounder Alfred Bannister and the rest of the team want to begin getting results now. And when assessing the stakes of Friday’s match against a high-powered Nebraska squad, Bannister kept it simple.

“Go hard or get embarrassed,” he said.