At Maryland women’s basketball Media Day, guard Sara Vujacic sat at a table in the back left corner, away from the bustle as dozens of reporters descended on her teammates to inquire about the upcoming 2018-19 season.

When members of the media eventually worked their way over to the Slovenian sharpshooter, most discussion centered around her famous sibling.

Vujacic is the younger sister of former Los Angeles Lakers’ first-round pick Sasha Vujacic, and her three-point shooting acumen is often likened to that of the 11-year NBA veteran’s.

“I’m really used to it,” Sara Vujacic said.

And as Vujacic’s Maryland career got off to a slow start — she scored just six points in the Terps’ first seven games — it remained difficult for the junior to make a name for herself.

But Vujacic’s season-best 13 points off the bench against UMBC could be a turning point for her. With a game against James Madison (6-1) on Saturday, she will have another opportunity to further cement a spot in coach Brenda Frese’s rotation.

“It think it starts in practices,” Vujacic said after facing the Retrievers. “I was more focused, confident, and I knew eventually I would start doing better in games.”

[Read more: No. 7 Maryland women’s basketball blows out UMBC, 92-61]

Before the season, Frese touted the additions of Vujacic and guard Taylor Mikesell as vital improvements to No. 7 Maryland’s scoring attack. And while Mikesell has shown significant promise — she’s averaging 14.0 points a contest on 36.2 percent from deep — Vujacic has struggled transitioning to Division I, which Frese attributes to a lack of self-assurance.

“She’s getting more comfortable, confident,” Frese said. “As she gets more confident, it helps our team get a lot better.”

[Read more: Against UMBC, Maryland women’s basketball’s bench was vital for the first time this year]

Prior to transferring to Maryland (8-0), Vujacic shot 45 percent in 33 games at Walters State — a junior college in Morristown, Tennessee, but she’s struggled with her shot so far as a Terp.

In the team’s first seven games, Vujacic went 2-for-13 from the field and 2-for-9 from behind the arc. Prior to facing UMBC, she hadn’t made a basket since the season-opener against Coppin State, and she failed to register a shot in 13 minutes during the four contests leading up to the game.

Against the Retrievers, however, Vujacic showed she can be a dangerous threat. When UMBC went on a 10-2 run to open the second half, Frese turned to the bench for answers, and the junior obliged with a red-hot string of shooting.

Vujacic drilled a pair of baskets from deep, and, after sinking a pull-up jumper, had produced an eight-point flurry that helped lift Maryland to a 34-point advantage and knock the Retrievers out for good.

With a career-best scoring total on 3-of-5 shooting from three-point range, Vujacic is finally showing glimpses of the smooth stroke Frese beamed about during Media Day.

“We have those high expectations for her,” Frese said. “Her week of practice has been great. She’s got to get the … practices to transfer over to the games.”

Despite the return of guards Blair Watson and Channise Lewis as proven deep threats and Mikesell’s addition to the lineup, the Terps are shooting just 33.1 percent from behind the arc.

For Maryland to continue its undefeated start when Big Ten play begins in less than a month, the Terps will likely need improved outside shooting. And as Vujacic gains more confidence, the deep threat could garner more minutes, beginning with their matchup against James Madison on Saturday.

With every three-point basket sunk by Vujacic, she may finally put the comparisons between her and her older brother to rest.

“I want to make my own name,” Vujacic said. “Not having other people compare me to him.”