The number of police shows on TV has to be astronomical by now. Drama, comedy, thriller — police shows come in all shapes and sizes. Originality is hard come to by. The Good Cop, while somewhat inventive as a police show, is dull and lacks excitement.

The Netflix original premiered on Friday, with a 10-episode first season. The Good Cop follows Tony Caruso Jr. and his father, Tony Caruso Sr. The son, played by Josh Groban, is a by-the-books officer; he never lies, cheats or cuts corners. His father, played by Tony Danza, is a former dirty cop who was recently released from prison.

Caruso Sr. helps his son solve homicides while he’s technically on parole. They bicker and argue about the way to do things. Overall, the father-son relationship is funny and endearing.

Monica Barbaro played Cora Vasquez, Caruso’s parole officer who becomes a homicide detective after the first episode. Vasquez and Caruso Jr. had a weird relationship throughout the show. Despite being romantic, they had consistently weird interactions — acting like they never know how to talk to each other.

The idea behind The Good Cop has potential, but it never quite reaches it. It’s slow-moving; even though they solve a different crime each episode, it was difficult to stay interested after 20 minutes. The background music, the characters, the script — it’s all a bit lifeless.

The acting itself was cheesy and sometimes cringe-worthy. Groban is an extremely talented singer and songwriter, but his acting skills are not yet good enough to be a lead in a TV show. His role as Caruso Jr. was not convincing and he did not make for very “good” cop.

Above all, The Good Cop is completely predictable. They solve the crime in the end every time. Shows that tie up every loose end aren’t inherently bad, but in this case, it made the show forgettable. I didn’t really remember what happened in the last episode after I started a new one. There are many other police shows that solve the crime in the end, but still make it exciting and memorable. This Netflix original failed to do so.

The Good Cop had its funny, warm-hearted moments; the characters are endearing and the show had originality. Overall, though, it’s sluggish and the acting could have been better. In the midst of hundreds of other police shows, it needs more life.