Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks won her primary for county executive by a wide margin Tuesday, beating out eight other Democrats to win the nomination.

Alsobrooks led her closest competitor, former Congresswoman Donna Edwards, by more than 37 percentage points, as she garnered about 62 percent of the vote.

Alsobrooks’ victory puts her close to the executive’s office, as the county is heavily Democratic. She will face Republican Jerry Mathis, who was unopposed in his primary, in November.

During her time as state’s attorney, the violent crime rate was cut in half, and Alsobrooks focused on developing programming for area children, including a truancy reduction initiative for which she partnered with local schools.

Alsobrooks was clear in her condemnation of violence at the University of Maryland.

In May 2017, 2nd Lt. Richard Collins, a Bowie State University student visiting this university, was stabbed to death while waiting for an Uber. Alsobrooks’ office indicted Sean Urbanski, a former student of this university, on first degree murder and hate crime charges.

“What we found occurred on this unfortunate tragic night of May 20 is that we believe that Lt. Collins was killed — that he was murdered — and that it was unjustified, it was premeditated and that it was as a result of his race,” Alsobrooks said following the indictment.

Alsobrooks began her public service career in education. She was nominated to serve as the county’s education liaison in 2002. In an interview, she told The Diamondback education would be her number one priority.

“We need to have a renewed focus on children and what they need to learn, how we teach them best and how to support the teachers who stand in front of them,” she said.

She would go on to serve as the executive director of Prince George’s County’s Revenue Authority, an agency tasked with generating trade and industry for the county.