Despite Justin Jackson and Dion Wiley deciding to take their talents elsewhere, Maryland men’s basketball still has a promising lineup going into next season thanks in large part to power forward Jalen Smith.

On Wednesday night, Smith was given the opportunity to play in the prestigious McDonald’s All-American Game as one of the best high school seniors in the country.

The Mount Saint Joseph product, also known as “Stix,” piled up 12 points, four rebounds and two blocks in 17 minutes, but it wasn’t enough, as the West team pulled out a 131-128 win over the East.

Smith is the No. 15 overall recruit, according to ESPN, and was one of 24 players selected to play on Wednesday night. He was named Gatorade Player of the Year in the state of Maryland this year, becoming the second player from Maryland to win the award twice. As a senior at Mt. St. Joe’s, he averaged 22.2 points, 12 rebounds, and four blocks per game.

Perhaps the most exciting moment of the game for Smith was when he blocked a shot and then started a fast break on the other end.

The departure of Jackson means Smith will be very important to Maryland’s success this season. The fact that he has had a chance to play with some of the best high school players in the country is a very encouraging sign.