Maryland men’s lacrosse coach John Tillman couldn’t evade conversations about Marist goalie Brian Corrigan during his holiday meals. Tillman’s brother resides in West Hampton, New York, and his nieces will attend Westhampton Beach High School, Corrigan’s alma mater.

Tillman’s family made clear the Terps’ attack might have difficulty scoring with Corrigan between the pipes Tuesday. But No. 2 Maryland was aggressive from the outset, and while Corrigan secured 17 saves, the Terps defeated the Red Foxes, 13-7.

In putting pressure on Corrigan, the Terps displayed the tenacity that’s made them so successful in midweek games during Tillman’s eight-year tenure.

[Read more: Maryland lacrosse tops Marist, 13-7, on the back of Connor Kelly’s career-best showing]

The win was Maryland’s 14th straight in a midweek contest dating back to 2012. The Terps’ 8-7 loss to UMBC on a March Tuesday that year is the lone blemish on Tillman’s midweek resume.

“Midweek games are tough because we’re out of our element,” Tillman said. “We’re coming off of our first game, and there’s a lot of excitement. Then it’s midweek and it’s a smaller crowd, not much juice. You have to create it.”

Three days after defeating Navy in their season opener, the Terps hosted the Red Foxes in one of two midweek games scheduled before the Big Ten tournament.

[Read more: Dan Morris is developing into a vocal leader for Maryland lacrosse]

Already plagued by injuries — defenseman Bryce Young is “week-to-week” and attackman Steven Shollenberger is out for the season — the Terps use a GPS to monitor their distance traveled during and between games.

The device also records high-intensity distance, Tillman said, and enables the coaches to adjust practice routines accordingly. If the numbers are high, the staff will decrease physical demands. If they are low, the team will spend extra time sprinting.

Maryland’s strength coach reports the numbers to Tillman daily. When the team plays Saturday and again Tuesday, the device helps the coaches create a framework for practices Sunday and Monday.

“You have to balance how many reps you want,” Tillman said, “with how much fatigue you’re going to get.”

Tillman made frequent substitutions in the fourth quarter of Maryland’s win against the Midshipmen to minimize fatigue, which didn’t seem to play a significant role in the Terps’ second win.

Attackman Jared Bernhardt scored five times, and midfielder Connor Kelly notched four goals to pace Maryland’s offense. Despite Young’s absence, the defense contained Marist’s attack, with goalkeeper Dan Morris tallying 10 saves.

Tillman hopes his youthful team reflects on its success on short rest should it earn a spot in the Big Ten tournament, where games are often played two days apart.

“It’s a good changeup,” Bernhardt said. “We like some of those challenges.”

CORRECTION: Due to an editing error, a previous version of the headline on this article incorrectly stated that the win over Marist was Maryland’s 11th straight in a midweek game. It was the team’s 14th straight midweek win. The headline has been updated.