At this point last year, Maryland men’s basketball forward Justin Jackson was still adjusting to the U.S. after playing his final high school season in Ontario, Canada. He didn’t know what his role would be as a freshman as he adapted to the physicality of the college game.

One year later, Jackson, fresh off making the Preseason All-Big Ten Team, is expected to star for the Terps after former All-Big Ten guard Melo Trimble’s departure. Between last fall and this October, Jackson has participated in the NBA Draft Combine and bolstered the Terps’ frontcourt through an NCAA tournament run.

Those experiences have raised Jackson’s confidence, helping him manage the heightened expectations.

“Justin, he’s a really good player, one of the better players I’ve seen in a while,” guard Jared Nickens said. “He’s gotten a lot better at attacking the basket, and he’s improved his three-point shooting a lot.”

[Read more: Maryland women’s basketball is adjusting to life without last season’s top three scorers]

Jackson averaged 10.5 points and a team-high six rebounds per game last season while shooting 43.8 percent from the 3-point line. He was the best player on the court during a stretch in late January, combining for 50 points and 22 rebounds in wins over Minnesota and Ohio State.

But Jackson struggled at other points. As Maryland’s frontcourt battled injuries, he played more in the post, limiting his versatility from the perimeter.

Coach Mark Turgeon said Jackson will play through more isolation and ball screens this season, schemes that take advantage of the sophomore’s athleticism and passing ability.

With Trimble gone, the Terps will likely use one point guard, allowing Jackson to play more small forward.

Jackson said he’s happy playing either small or power forward, as Turgeon’s offense gives him freedom to attack from the wing, regardless of his role. However, Jackson’s three-point attempts declined as he played in the post last season.

“He’s an amazing scorer,” Turgeon said. “He can shoot the three, he’s got mid-range game, he’s got postup, he can score around the rim … he can really pass the ball.”

Turgeon said Jackson didn’t prepare the right way as he adjusted to Maryland. So after last season, Turgeon discussed work ethic with Jackson, encouraging him to hoist extra shots outside of practice and spend more time in the weight room.

That training has paid off.

Jackson was named to the preseason Julius Erving Award watch list for college basketball’s best small forward and the preseason All-Big Ten team. Multiple publications project the 6-foot-7, 225-pound swingman to be a first round pick in the 2018 NBA Draft.

For Maryland to qualify for its fourth consecutive NCAA tournament, Jackson must take on the leadership role Trimble occupied last season. Trimble led Maryland while averaging 16.8 points per game, while Jackson finished second on the team in scoring.

After a year with the program, Jackson appears more capable of providing that impact.

“I always feel like he had a lot of skills with him,” Nickens said. “Him getting more comfortable and getting confident will help his game a lot.”