As the final seconds ran off the clock in the Maryland field hockey team’s 3-2 loss to No. 14 Northwestern on Sunday, the No. 10 Terps begged for a call they ultimately wouldn’t receive.

There was a whistle for contact in the Terps’ offensive zone, seemingly providing them with one final opportunity to tie the game off a penalty corner. But the officials converged with time still running and overturned the initial ruling.

Northwestern continued to progress the ball before celebrating in the middle of the field. There wasn’t a video review because the Terps’ replay review system wasn’t responsive.

So Maryland (6-4, 2-1 Big Ten), which dropped its second of three contests against ranked opponents this week, was forced to watch another celebration on its home field.

“We’re a work in progress,” said coach Missy Meharg. “We’ve got to limit our errors. One-on-one defense, protecting your feet in the circle.”

Northwestern (7-4, 2-1), meanwhile, capitalized on its chances.

With about 16 minutes remaining, the Wildcats lined up for a penalty corner attempt on the far side of the field. As they converged near the top of the circle, they shifted positions.

Midfielder Puck Pentenga bounced the ball into the left corner of the net to give Northwestern a lead it wouldn’t relinquish. Terps defender Bodil Keus wiped her hand across her forehead as Maryland reconvened.

The loss came after the Terps controlled possession and seemingly disrupted the Wildcats attack.

Meharg has emphasized Maryland’s need to be aggressive from the start, and the Terps did so against the Wildcats. With about 10 minutes remaining in the first half, midfielder Brooke Adler deposited the ball between Northwestern goalkeeper Annie Kalfas’ legs to tie the game. It was Maryland’s first goal in the opening half since last Sunday’s win against Bucknell, and it sent the teams into the intermission tied at one.

“I don’t think it was what wasn’t working,” midfielder Madison Maguire said. “We got the ball into our scoring half. We did everything we could it just comes down to scoring now.”

Maryland was also responsive to the sideline’s call for increased energy in the second half. With about 31 minutes remaining in the game, midfielder Lein Holsboer stood on the right side of the circle and sent the ball into the net to give Maryland its first advantage.

But Massey tied the game 11 minutes later.

The Terps had several opportunities to tie the game in its final moments, including a penalty corner at the eight-minute mark.

And then came the call that couldn’t be reversed, leaving Maryland without a final chance.

“We just have to keep our heads up,” Adler said. “We’ll see them again. They’re a great team.”