Pursuing a career in the arts is a risk to be admired; it’s a path taken only by the most inspired and confident individuals. There already exists an infinite amount of hipsters trying to become famous, but Sylvan Esso’s genuine love for music shines on their third studio album, What Now. The duo creates progressive, synth-driven pop bangers through a combination of euphoric and grungy melodies, distinguishing the indie pop group’s presence in today’s industry.

Sylvan Esso, consisting of singer Amelia Meath and producer Nick Sanborn, first showcased their ability to produce artsy yet modest music with the release of their self-titled studio album in 2014. Now three years later, the duo demonstrates both sharpened talent and whimsicality as Meath’s honey vocals belt lyrics that decry the corrupting influence of power.

Sylvan Esso sonically pushes for an organic sound throughout What Now. On “Radio,” Meath describes the pressure to appeal to mainstream music. The song’s fast tempo is only boosted by Meath’s sardonic words, as she sings “Now don’t you look good sucking American dick/ You’re so surprised they like you/ You’re so cute and so quick.” The track resembles Katy Perry’s dark bubblegum music circa the One of The Boys era, but where Perry appears obnoxious, Meath comes off as transgressive.

“Glow” samples an acoustic guitar and uses it to produce a fuzzy, textured breakdown. Meath told NPR that the song was about “being lifted off the earth by music.” Indeed, the song elevates its listeners, as the nostalgic lyrics are amplified with playful synths to evoke a feeling of harmony.

Sylvan Esso’s appeal is not a result of their bold lyricism, nor is it a result of Meath’s vocal dexterity, as the singer’s tender voice somehow still achieves melisma. Rather, it is a result of the band’s willingness to take risks and create their own musical landscape where organ-like beats somehow fit in bass-driven songs.

“Die Young” truly stands out as the album’s strongest track, and the duo’s emphasis on production quality over lyrical content is precisely why the song succeeds. The song’s intense xylophone slowly becomes hypnotic as Sanborn maintains a refreshing aptness to turn sterile beats into vibrant melodies.

What Now showcases Sylvan Esso’s skill in detecting exultant rhythms through a variety of musical tools, with Meath’s voice serving as the album’s most crucial instrument. The band doesn’t create music for a wide audience, instead opting to take musical gambles.

3-Shells