The filmmaker behind the iconic cult film Alien, Ridley Scott, recently shared his thoughts on the next entry in the series and his plans for the future of the storyline.

Scott’s latest offering, Alien: Covenant, is supposedly set after the events of Prometheus (2012) and follows a group of colonists who are on a mission to populate an uninhabited planet. During their intergalactic voyage, they find what seems to be an undiscovered planet with lush vegetation, but no signs of life.

Judging from the several trailers released so far, the planet is too good to be true, until the infamous Xenomorphs make a horrific appearance and attack the crew ferociously.

Covenant is set to be released May 19, but according to the Sydney Morning Herald, Scott has already begun thinking about adding more films to the series.

“If you really want a franchise, I can keep cranking it for another six,” Scott told the Herald. “I’m not going to close it down again. No way.”

Much to fans’ delight, Scott announced he also finished writing for the next film after Covenant; these additions would bring the series to a grand total of 12 films, a number that has yet to be matched by one of the biggest sci-fi film sagas, Star Wars.

Scott, according to the Herald, hopes to begin production on the next installment next year.

However, Scott said the next entries in the series are all set to be prequels, leading up to the events of the first Alien film.

It’s yet to be seen whether fans will be excited about prequels instead of sequels. But there seems to be a need for prequels due to questions Prometheus presented about the creation of the universe as well as the Xenomorphs.

In addition, the original Alien film spurred a lot of theories on how the Xenomorphs even came to be in the first place. The ominous ship filled with Xenomorph eggs may be the same one seen in recent trailers for Covenant, but because Scott announced his plans to make more prequels, this may not be the case.

Either way, fans will have to keep their fingers crossed on whether Scott will remain as interested or engaged with the series as the years go by.