Sen. Ben Cardin condemned the white nationalist fliers found on the University of Maryland campus this week, saying he was “greatly disturbed at the growing number of hate-based incidents that we have been witnessing lately.”

White nationalist posters were also reported at this university in December, part of what the Anti-Defamation League has called “unprecedented outreach efforts on American college campuses” by white supremacist groups.

There have been 107 similar flyering incidents at universities since the beginning of the school year, with the majority taking place since January, according to the ADL.

[Read more: White nationalist posters found in at least 4 UMD locations Monday]

Each threat needs to be treated with the utmost seriousness as we band together to discourage such vicious language and activity,” Cardin said in a statement Wednesday. “Diversity is a strength. Inclusion is a virtue.”

Deeply disturbed to hear this happening at @UofMaryland. Couldn’t agree more w/ @PresidentLoh: it’s vile and it’s not welcome in MD. Period. https://t.co/zWXIIrBRWG
— Senator Ben Cardin (@SenatorCardin) March 15, 2017

University President Wallace Loh also denounced the posters, which directed students to the website of Vanguard America. The group’s manifesto states, “Our America is to be a nation exclusively for the White American peoples.”

“The white nationalist posters found on college campuses, including our own, contain detestable language that is an affront to who we are, and what we stand for, as the State’s flagship university,” Loh said in a statement. “As a community, we stand for excellence, diversity, and inclusion. We stand against all forms of ignorance and hate. UMPD is investigating this matter as a hate bias.”

The white nationalist posters reported last semester were also investigated as a “hate bias incident.”

[Read more: White nationalist posters found on University of Maryland buildings]

The person answering emails at the account listed on Vanguard America’s website sent The Diamondback the following statement when asked why the group puts fliers up on the campus.

“American Vanguard has always been active in raising awareness and advocating for Nationalism on campus, which is typically the domain of our Jewish enemies.”

In 2015, Cardin was named the Special Representative on Anti-Semitism, Racism, and Intolerance for the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe Parliamentary Assembly. He is a graduate of the University of Maryland’s law school.

“Hate is not an American value,” Cardin said, “it is not part of the foundation of this nation, and the good people of Maryland and across our country will not sit idle while this type of ugliness and is spewed forth at our educational institutions, or anywhere else.”