On Sunday, it was announced that the Maryland Terrapins will take on the Boston College Eagles in the Quick Lane Bowl on Dec. 26 in Detroit. You should have two reactions to that announcement:
-“Playing in a bowl game one year after going 3-9? That’s neat for DJ Durkin and the Terps. Good for them.”
-“Bowl names are stupider than celebrity baby names.”
Every year, as college football’s postseason approaches, fans are not only reminded of how many bowl games there are, but more importantly, how many bowl games with ridiculous names there are. To emphasize that point, Terps Watch has created a little quiz.
The following list has 16 bowl games on it. Some of them are real, and some of them are made up. Discerning which ones fall into which category is the task you must complete. (The answers are at the bottom of the post).
How much knowledge do you have about this very specific topic, one that really doesn’t matter at all in the grand scheme of life but one that is still fun nonetheless? It’s time to find out.
1) The PlayStation Fiesta Bowl
2) The Cold Stone Gotta Have It Bowl
3) The San Diego Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl
4) The Bentley’s Dirty Bong Water Bowl
5) The McDonald’s McPick Two Bowl
6) The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
7) The Southwest Airlines New Mexico Bowl
8) The Popeyes Bahamas Bowl
9) The Dollar General Bowl
10) The SKECHERS Shape-Ups Bowl
11) The Spotify Discover Weekly Bowl
12) The Chipotle Burrito Bowl
13) The Motel 6 Cactus Bowl
14) The Franklin American Mortage Music City Bowl
15) The Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl
16) The “Did you recently tag one of your friends in a Facebook meme that perfectly describes how hard the end of the semester is?” Bowl
Sadly, the Bentley’s Dirty Bong Water Bowl hasn’t been added to college football’s postseason slate. Yet.
The real bowls are: 1, 3, 6, 8, 9, 13, 14 and 15. If you named all eight of the actual bowls correctly, maybe it’s time to go outside. Seriously, try it. It’s nice out there.