University of Maryland President Wallace Loh sent a campus-wide email Monday stating the university has equal opportunities for an education for all students, including the undocumented and DACAmented students on the campus.

The Deferred Action of Childhood Arrivals is an executive order signed by President Obama on June 15, 2012, which allows students who came to the United States as children under the age of 16 before June 2007 the opportunity to obtain a two-year work visa and attend four-year universities, according to an immigration equality website.

“As the state’s flagship institution and an [Association of American Universities] member, UMD is committed to reaching out and providing educational opportunities to academically-qualified persons of all backgrounds and walks of life,” the letter read. “We are an immigrant nation, one formed from many. In our democracy, we are all in it together; we have responsibilities to each other.”

Loh cited the Maryland DREAM Act as a tool for allowing undocumented/DACAmented students to enroll in this university.

“This is why the State of Maryland, and other states, enacted ‘Dream Act’ legislation,” the letter read. “It allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition and be eligible for state-funded financial aid at a four-year college, provided that they meet specific requirements (such graduating from a community college and having a tax-paying parent).”

Loh asked the campus community to take action and support the DACA initiative.

“I ask that the UMD community call on the leaders of our nation to continue the DACA youth initiative,” the letter read. “We must ask our Federal officials to at least honor the grants of deferred action already approved until such time as Congress enacts immigration reform legislation. I also ask that we call on the business, civic, and religious communities to join in voicing their support.”