Maryland wrestling coach Kerry McCoy noted his team put together a flat performance at the Cavalier Duals.

After their wrestlers competed in various open tournaments the past two weekends, the Terps allowed Lock Haven to score 13 unanswered points in a 20-18 defeat Sunday. They followed that up with a 22-13 loss against Virginia later in the afternoon.

But there were a few bright spots despite the disappointing team results. Tyler Goodwin and Alfred Bannister won both of their dual matches at 133 and 149 pounds, respectively, continuing the success they’ve had early in the season.

Goodwin and Bannister are nationally ranked, according to InterMat, and both wrestlers won titles in their respective weight classes at the Southeast Open on Nov. 6. Entering Sunday, the two grapplers had each already won five bouts.

“Tyler dominated, getting two bonus-point wins,” McCoy said. “Bannister had a couple of closer matches, but getting the hand raised is important, and we’re making sure they go back and continue to do the things they need to do to get better every day.”

Goodwin won by fall over Lock Haven’s Lewis Williams less than two minutes into the match. He followed it up with an 8-0 major decision over Virginia’s Will Mason.

“It felt good, I felt good,” Goodwin said. “I managed my weight well, and I knew I was ready going into the match. It felt good winning.”

Bannister, meanwhile, led Lock Haven’s Kyle Shoop, 9-2, in the third period before holding on for a two-point win. Against Virginia’s Sam Krivus, Bannister had an escape halfway through the third period to level the score at 1-1. He escaped again in overtime to secure the decision.

McCoy views both wrestlers as leaders for the Terps, naming Bannister as a captain and referring to Goodwin as a role model. The veteran coach also said the grapplers’ records help set the standard for their teammates.

“You’ll hear people say different things about the rankings and what they mean,” McCoy said. “It’s just nice to be recognized for the work you’ve been doing. When you knock off a couple of NCAA qualifiers and ranked guys, it feels good to see their names there.”

Both wrestlers are performing at a high level and are expecting that trend to continue during this weekend’s Grapple at the Garden in New York City, where the Terps will square off against Princeton and Columbia. Goodwin looks at it as an opportunity for Maryland to bounce back from the Cavalier Duals.

“I can’t wait for next weekend,” Goodwin said. “I think it’s going to be a different story.”

Regardless of the team’s result at the event, McCoy is confident Goodwin and Bannister will continue to succeed.

“It’s good for them to get their hand raised and keep on rolling in the right direction,” McCoy said. “Next weekend, they’re both going to be tested again, and they’ll continue to rise to the occasion.”