The Republican Party kept its hold on the majority in the U.S. Congress Tuesday night, securing at least 21 of the 34 Senate seats up for grabs this election cycle. The Republicans now control 51 of the 100 Senate seats and 239 of the 435 House seats.

The Republicans hold 54 Senate seats and 247 House seats in the current Congress. Of the Senate seats up for re-election, Democrats needed to gain five of 24 to clinch the majority, but fell short.

In Maryland, Rep. Chris Van Hollen defeated Maryland House of Delegates Minority Whip Kathy Szeliga for former Sen. Barbara Mikulski’s vacant Senate seat, helping to contribute to this state’s first all-male delegation in Congress in 40 years.

But while Republicans maintain control of the upper house, they did not secure the 60 seats needed to defeat a Democratic filibuster.

And despite the Democrats picking up several House seats in Florida, Virginia, Minnesota, New Hampshire and Nevada, the party did not secure the 218 seats needed to steal a House majority.

Incumbent Maryland Democratic Reps. Elijah Cummings, John Delaney, Steny Hoyer, John Sarbanes, Dutch Ruppersberger and incumbent Republican Rep. Andy Harris were re-elected to their House seats.

This article will be updated.