D.D Dumbo’s debut album Utopia Defeated, brings full-flavored, funky sounds to combat the chills of the autumn season. The impressive self-produced record establishes D.D Dumbo singer, writer and producer Oliver Perry’s entry into the psychedelic music scene with his delicate mix of heartfelt vocals and perfectly timed guitar riffs.

Utopia Defeated moves not with meaningful lyrics, but rather impeccable, well-balanced melodies. The opening track, “Walrus,” standing alone with only a chorus and a single verse, exemplifies Perry’s ambitious vision as he alternates between layered vocals and a bluesy interlude to produce a sound that combines elements of psychedelic rock, country and pop.

There would be no virtue in calling the album cohesive, as each track produces its own rhythm that outshines the strange, yet fascinating lyrics. “Cortisol” is a hypnotic song that channels the energies of both nightlife and the feel good vibes of the outdoors.

At the outset, the words Perry sings are meaningless, painting a portrait of a dream-like world where only robust, bizarre figures matter, however this allows the high production of the album to stand out as Perry makes several bold moves in combining warped vocals and electronic beats.

If Animal Collective and Fleet Foxes could make a lovechild, Utopia Defeated is what it would sound like. The 10-track album engages its listener through the raw emotion felt by Perry’s voice, functioning as an instrument of its own to accompany the thoughtful arrangement of pianos, synths and electric guitars on every song.

The album closes with the hopeful ballad, “Oyster,” that contemplates the quality of human life in a society faced with greed, as Perry belts that “Money drips with blood.” Despite the bold lyrics, the song remains delightfully light and left me satisfied. The album is not trying to copy the styles of popular psychedelic acts today, and instead successfully displays the strengths of D.D. Dumbo’s individual fusion.

While the album isn’t groundbreaking, it provides a good base for an impressive career by the highly creative Oliver Perry. His sound is bold, as every track brings a delightful feeling of reminiscence in its eclectic combination of styles.