University of Maryland Police responded to reports of suspicious activity and an assault, among other incidents this past week, according to police reports.

Assault

University Police responded on Aug. 11 at about 1:30 p.m. to a report of an assault near Marie Mount Hall.

A female student reported that on Aug. 8 at about 8 p.m. she felt a punch to her right cheek from behind while she was listening to music on her phone and waiting for a bus at the corner of Regents Drive and Chapel Drive, police spokesman Maj. Marc Limansky wrote in an email.

The victim was “unable to see for a brief period as a result of the punch,” Limansky wrote. No items were taken from her and she did not see anyone else in the area, he added. This assault is under investigation.

Suspicious activity

On Aug. 12 at midnight, University Police responded to Commons 2 for a report of suspicious activity. Staff from the Department of Resident Life had found an unaffiliated male in the building. The same man was told to leave Commons 1 the previous day, Limansky wrote.

An officer told the individual to leave until a resident could accompany him into the building.

Other incident

University Police responded to the Animal Sciences building for a report of a hazardous materials incident on Aug. 10 at about 9:30 a.m.

Two students were working in a lab when one opened an oven and a thermometer dropped out and broke open, releasing a fluid the reporting individual believed to be mercury, Limansky said. Department of Environmental Safety representatives confirmed it was not mercury, but an alcohol-based fluid.