While many students prepped for trips home for Thanksgiving over the weekend, Terrapins athletes helped distribute 200 meals to less fortunate families Sunday in the Baltimore area.

More than 70 students participated as the university’s student-athlete advisory committee teamed up with the SGA, Shop Rite and YMCA of Central Maryland to hand out Thanksgiving meals.

Athletes worked with SGA members to help unload trucks at two Head Start locations and prepare the meals to be served.

“It was really eye opening to witness firsthand how many families in our area need help and to be able to assist them in any way was incredibly rewarding,” Terps softball player Juli Strange said.

According to a release, a main priority of the student-athlete advisory committee this season was to work more closely with the SGA, and Sunday’s event gave both organizations the chance to work together while helping the surrounding community.

“I really wanted to get involved, because I think it’s easy to get disconnected from surrounding communities when you’re in college,” sophomore Samara Cohen said. “I wanted to give back because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I think everyone should be able to enjoy a comfortable Thanksgiving meal.”

Below are some photos of the Terps doing their community service.

Community Service

Community Service

Community Service