On the first play of the Terrapins football team’s quickest drive in Saturday’s 37-15 waxing of Indiana, quarterback C.J. Brown rifled a short screen pass to wide receiver Stefon Diggs, who slipped by several defenders and scampered for a 37-yard gain.

Two plays later, with the Terps holding a 10-6 lead midway through the second quarter, Brown dropped back again and hit Diggs on a route across the middle of the field. The sure-handed junior hauled in the pass, outran a couple of Hoosiers defensive backs and flipped into the end zone for a 29-yard touchdown.

As Diggs brought center Sal Conaboy and wideout Amba Etta-Tawo together to pretend to take a selfie in celebration, a quick thought ran through my mind: “Man, that was fun to watch.”

But then came a question: “Why don’t we see more of this?”

Diggs and fellow wide receiver Deon Long are, by a long shot, the Terps’ two most talented offensive players, and they each went over 100 yards receiving Saturday to spark the offense in a Big Ten-opening triumph. Before the win over Indiana, though, Diggs and Long had combined for just one individual 100-yard performance, and that’s not good enough.

It’d be easy to criticize Brown, the run-first signal-caller who left Saturday’s game at halftime with a wrist injury, for not throwing to Diggs or Long often enough. Offensive coordinator Mike Locksley could also shoulder some blame for the Terps’ playmakers’ lack of dominance through the first four games of the year. And the two receivers themselves clearly played a part in their middling stats.

Regardless, Saturday’s bout proved the Terps are most effective when Diggs and Long are involved in the offense, so they need to be focal points in the gameplan each time the Terps hit the field.

Brown and backup Caleb Rowe both targeted Long early and often in the victory over the Hoosiers. The senior pulled in 10 catches for 108 yards and had a 9-yard carry on a reverse in the first half.

Diggs, meanwhile, was a bit more explosive Saturday, tallying 112 yards on six catches and that touchdown off the screen pass in the second quarter.

The two wide receivers routinely outmatched Indiana’s cornerbacks to break free and often made positive plays after the catch by juking out defenders. With Diggs and Long playing the way they were, it felt as if the Terps could turn any play into six points. Indiana seemed hesitant in pressuring the quarterback because of the threat the duo posed.

It’s just not clear what the Terps can do to keep the two stars playing so well.

Diggs and Long might experience more consistent success if Rowe replaces Brown, whose status for next week is uncertain, as the starter. Brown, a senior, is a dangerous runner, but he struggles when forced to sit in the pocket. With Rowe’s stronger and more accurate arm in play, the Terps receivers are likely to catch more passes down the field for larger gains.

Plus, Brown’s success with his legs leads Locksley to include more designed run plays in the gameplan, which gives Diggs and Long less of an opportunity to make an imprint on each game.

So at first glance, it seems logical to assume that with Rowe as the quarterback, the Terps’ two most explosive players will be more involved. But Saturday, Diggs and Long posted solid numbers while receiving passes from both quarterbacks.

Diggs had three catches and 72 of his yards in the first half. Though Long had more yards with Rowe under center for the final 30 minutes, the wide receiver brought in five receptions from each signal-caller.

So there was something about Saturday’s gameplan or about the wide receivers’ matchups that led to improved production against Indiana. And the Terps should find whatever it was that led to Diggs and Long’s success and make sure to sustain it.

Against elite teams in the Big Ten — such as No. 22 Ohio State, which visits Byrd Stadium this weekend — many of the Terps’ skill players will be outmatched and unable to consistently produce positive plays. Diggs and Long, though, will be tough for anyone in the conference to defend if they stay involved in the offense.

So Locksley, coach Randy Edsall and whoever is under center should get Diggs and Long the ball at least a combined 15 times each game.

It might help the Terps compete against more talented teams, and it would be super entertaining to watch.