Terps football columnist Aaron Kasinitz is in the Virgin Islands covering the men’s basketball team in the Paradise Jam tournament, but thanks to the magic of the Internet, he was able to watch Saturday’s Terps loss to Boston College and still provide his takeaways.

The Terrapins football team followed a marquee win over Virginia Tech last week with a devastating 29-26 loss to Boston College on Saturday after a last second field goal capped a ridiculously wacky ending. Here are some takeaways:

1) CAN’T CONTAIN ANDRE

Coach Randy Edsall said this week that Andre Williams deserved to be considered for the Heisman Trophy, making it clear that the Terps weren’t overlooking the Eagles running back. Still, Williams led a quick march down the field on Boston College’s first drive, and even sent cornerback Will Likely directly into the ground with a nasty stiff arm.

Williams had 64 yards on his first three carries, and it appeared the Terps would be in for a long afternoon, and though the Terps held the Eagles to a field goal on that possession, Williams’ success was a sign of things to come.

The senior finished with 263 yards and two touchdowns on 32 carries, went over 2,000 yards for the season and made the play that ended up costing the Terps the game.

The Eagles faced a third-and-3 with 44 seconds left in a tie game, and the Terps called a timeout in hopes of getting the ball back. But Williams took a handoff to the left side and ran 36 yards to the Terps’ 37-yard line, which set up Nate Freese’s game-winning 52-yard field goal.

Though the Terps defense kept the Eagles grounded for most of the second and third quarters, Williams was good enough to take over the game and lead Boston College to a win.

Several days after suggesting Williams should be in contention for the Heisman, Edsall watched his Terps allow the talented tailback to bolster his case.

2) TURNOVERS

The Terps had an opportunity to win the game late because of several key takeaways, but running back Jacquille Veii’s late fumble proved to be the dagger.

Veii, a freshman, coughed the ball up in the fourth quarter at the Eagles 8-yard line, as the Terps were driving toward a score that could have clinched a victory. Of course, the Terps wouldn’t have been in that spot if they didn’t take advantage of some Boston College miscues.

After a botched shotgun snap in the first quarter, Boston College quarterback Chase Rettig tried to picked the ball up rather than fall on it. That didn’t work, and Terps outside linebacker Marcus Whitfield recovered the fumble at the Eagles 1-yard line. A play later, running Albert Reid plunged through to the end zone, and the Terps took the lead.

Then in the second quarter, Rettig made an even worse decision, as he rifled a pass over the middle of the field where safety Sean Davis was roaming all alone. When Davis picked the ball off the Terps, no Eagle was within 10 yards of him.

That takeaways didn’t stop there. Abner Logan recovered a botched punt in Eagles’ territory in the fourth quarter and several minutes after that, C.J. Brown dove through the line for another score and the Terps had an 11-point lead.

After Boston College scored a touchdown to go up two late in the game, the Terps blocked the Eagles extra point and safety Anthony Nixon returned it

Those plays changed the tone of the game, and on a whole, giveaways and special teams helped the Terps. But they also had a punt blocked, and Veii’s fumble was crucial, so they’ll need to find a way to eliminate their own errors if they hope to beat N.C. State next week.

3) JUST ENOUGH

The Terps offense never really got it going on Saturday in part because they converted just 2-of-13 third down conversions. Quarterback C.J. Brown had a bit of success through the air — he went 19-of-31 for 178 yards a touchdown — but the Terps’ inability to sustain drives cost them opportunities to score.

They finished with 278 total yards and no one on the offense was consistently productive. Running back Brandon Ross was the team’s leading rusher wide receiver Levern Jacobs was the team’s leading pass-catcher as they both posted 44 yards. That’s nothing special.

The Terps defense and special teams provided good food position and helped the team post 26 points, but Edsall has to hope for a better offensive output in the season finale in Raleigh, N.C.

4) KILLER TIMEOUTS 

As Nate Freese’s first try at a game-winning kick sailed wide to the left of the upright at Byrd Stadium, Edsall knew the cheers at Byrd Stadium were premature. The third-year coach called a timeout prior to the kick, so that play didn’t count.

Freese got another try with two seconds left and the score tied at 26. This time Freese nailed the 52-yarder, tying a career-high, and Boston College celebrated a win.

Now, it’d be easy to blame Edsall — and I’ve been a fan of icing the kicker — but he’s not really at fault. Freese still had only one try that counted, and by calling the timeout Edsall was betting that he’d be more likely to miss the second one, which isn’t unreasonable.

Edsall’s more questionable decision was calling a timeout on third-and-3 just before Williams’ 36-yard run with 44 seconds remaining.

The coach was probably hoping his team could get a stop and block a punt or manufacture a quick drive. But Boston College wasn’t pinned near its own end zone — the ball was at the Eagles 27 yard-line — and there wasn’t much time for a long drive.

So without a great chance for a reward, Edsall took a big risk. He lost, and so did the Terps.