The Terrapins men’s basketball team rolled through Catholic on Sunday afternoon, puling away from the Cardinals in an eventual 84-39 victory. While it was an exhibition win against a Division III team, there were still a few takeaways from the Terps’ lone tuneup before starting their season against No. 18 Connecticut at Barclays Center on Friday night.

1) JAKE LAYMAN

Coach Mark Turgeon and company sang the praises of guard Jake Layman’s offseason improvement. He was everyone’s breakout player, the player most likely to take the biggest step from his freshman year to the sophomore year.

And Sunday, he looked the part.

The sophomore finished the game with a game-high 23 points — in official competition, his career-high is 20 — on 7-of-12 shooting. He shot 5-of-7 from deep and made all four of his free throw attempts.

He drained three consecutive 3-pointers in a stretch in the first half to give the Terps the lead for good. He was wide-open on the first, had a hand in his face on the second and hit the third coming off a screen. He finished the half with 13 points on 4-of-8 shooting.

In the second half, Layman showcased his athleticism, finishing an alley-oop from guard Dez Wells with two hands, and he even initiated the offense once, finding Wells open in the corner for a 3-pointer.

2) POINT GUARD PLAY

With projected starting point guard Seth Allen out until January after fracturing his foot, the responsibility of running the Terps’ offense falls to Wells and guard Roddy Peters. The duo essentially split time in the first half as Wells was sidelined with two personal fouls, but each showed the different skills they can bring to the table.

Wells finished the game with seven points on four shots, four rebounds, three assists, one block and two turnovers. Peters scored seven points, dished two assists and turned the ball over twice.

After the game, Turgeon said he would play Wells with two fouls in the first half in the future, and he also said the Terps need Wells to shoot the ball more to be successful. Peters often looks for the “home run,” Turgeon said, but the freshman’s defense was impressive.

At times, both Wells and Peters were on the court at the same time, and Peters could play next to Wells in the backcourt as the season progresses with Wells handling the ball.

The Terps still have a variety of ballhandlers that cane get the team into its offense, too. Layman set the team up once, while forward Evan Smotrycz led the Terps with four assists from his forward position.

Either way, the Terps’ guard play will be tested against the Huskies on Friday night.

3) CENTER PLAY

Turgeon hasn’t made it clear who will start at center on Friday night — it will be either Charles Mitchell or Shaquille Cleare — but Mitchell displayed himself as a viable option Sunday.

The sophomore recorded a double-double, scoring 10 points to go with 11 rebounds. Six of his rebounds were on the offensive end, as he often grabbed his own miss during a 4-of-10 shooting performance. Catholic didn’t have anyone to match up with him inside, so he essentially had his way in the paint.

Cleare played 20 minutes and scored only two points on 1-of-3 shooting. He grabbed four rebounds and blocked a shot, but he was also whistled for three fouls.

Damonte Dodd, who Turgeon has called “an energy guy,” made his first appearance close to the midway point of the first half. Though he played only 11 minutes, he scored four points, blocked two shots and grabbed eight rebounds. Turgeon has praised his athleticism, and it was clear why during the game, even though he was matched up against an undersized opponent.

We won’t know how much of Dodd we’ll see until the season stats, but he showed Sunday that he can definitely provide an impact if the Terps need one.