Toei Animation has decided to dig up my childhood by creating Digimon Adventure tri., a new addition to the Digimon series we all love.

Tri. is a direct sequel to Digimon Adventure and Adventure 02, the series we grew up with. You know, the one with Tai and Agumon. The sequel was produced for the series’ 15th anniversary.

The special is split into six “films,” each four episodes long. The first part, Saikai (Reunion), aired in November.

The first part brought up many questions. In the first scene, the main characters of Adventure 02 are silhouetted and shown to be falling down in defeat. The red background leads us to think that maybe they died or they’re stuck in the digital world.

Even stranger, none of the 02 kids are even mentioned in Saikai. Seeing as the series ended with everyone being buddies, it’s weird that their names don’t even come up. Maybe some kind of memory wipe occurred?

Other than that, Saikai was pretty true to the original when it came to plot. A Digimon breaks into the real world somehow. Taichi (Tai) has to bring the gang together to fight the digital monsters and push them back where they came from. However, he becomes afraid of the damage all these fights cause, and hesitates to fight.

Yamato (Matt) has to bring him back to reality so they can take down a big baddie together in the end. Ah yes, basic Digimon plot.

Matt and Tai

The question of what happened to the kids from 02 is what’s keeping a lot of people watching. Are they dead? Are they OK? Can you please let me see an older Ken?

The next part, Ketsui (Determination), airs in March, so we’ll have to wait until then.