Misinterpretation of counter-protest worrisome

As the one who brought the flag and began the counter-protest described by Derron Thweatt, I am thoroughly astonished at his account in The Diamondback of last Monday’s events. I am compelled to respond and clarify what happened.

In standing beside the International Socialist Organization’s table, the entirety of my message was that the state of Israel has a right to exist. I did not claim that anyone was an anti-Semite, nor did I make a single statement regarding Israel’s actions. Fortunately, Israel’s right to exist is supported by many people on the campus, and I was soon joined by numerous other students.

According to Thweatt’s misinterpretation of my statements, I would also be considered anti-Semitic. I too do not support many of the state of Israel’s decisions. I too believe all Palestinian people deserve equal rights. And I do not believe that any of my views contradict one another. As I explained to the dozens who asked, I was protesting the denial of Israel’s right to exist and was certainly not protesting against Palestinian rights.

Yet the piece of Thweatt’s letter that I found most surprising was his allegation that I attempted to silence any of the members of his group. The opposite, in fact, was true. As I stood alongside them, one of the members of the International Socialist Organization tried to intimidate me into leaving. When it became clear that I was not going, he did not shy away from using personal insults.

Instead of hiding behind false claims of racism and harassment, I challenge Thweatt to respect those who hold views different from his own. As it is, I think there is enough misinformation surrounding the Arab-Israeli conflict.

Amiel VickSeniorJewish studies and psychology

Student turnout is not restricted to Stamp

I am just as thrilled as so many others about the high student turnout at the Stamp Student Union poll for Tuesday’s election. However, Andrew Vanacore’s Nov. 9 article “Student turnout may draw attention to higher ed” neglects a significant bloc of student voters: those who vote at polls away from College Park. Over the past several years, I have lived in College Park year-round, but I cannot change my official address because I would no longer be on my mother’s health insurance. I suspect there are other students who have pressing reasons for voting elsewhere, even though the academic calendar keeps us local for nine months out of the year. So until I can change my address to where I actually live, I will continue to vote absentee.

Jonathan SteingartJuniorCriminology and criminal justice and sociology

Ralph Friedgen’s Terps do what it takes

For the past two years, Ralph Friedgen has received a lot of criticism for back-to-back 5-6 seasons. Looking at the statistics after 10 games this year, it’s hard to see the success because opponents average nearly 60 more yards a game than the Terps.

However, you have to give credit to Friedgen because he is the best at getting players ready for the game psychologically and keeping them focused during the game. Coming back twice in the second half on the road against ACC teams deserves recognition. Beating Miami and Florida State at home do as well. The Fridge might not know how to win in the statistics category, but he knows how to get the “W.” He did it his first year on the job, leading the team to the Orange Bowl. At 8-2, the Terps have a legitimate shot at returning to a BCS game after a five-year absence. They might not win convincingly or on paper, but who cares – they WIN.

Bryan ClarkSeniorHistory and secondary education

Air your views:

The Diamondback welcomes your comments. Address your letters or guest columns to the Opinion Desk at opinion@dbk.umd.edu. All letters and guest columns must be signed. Include your full name, year, major and day- and night-time phone numbers. Please limit letters to 300 words. Please limit guest columns to between 600 and 800 words.

Submission of a letter or guest column constitutes an exclusive, worldwide, transferable license to The Diamondback of the copyright in the material in any media. The Diamondback retains the right to edit submissions for content and length.