Potter all grown-up

As a devotee of the Harry Potter  novels, I sometimes take issue with the way they’re adapted for film. However, I disagree with Angelina She’s Nov. 23 column critiquing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 as merely pandering to adolescent girls in a manner reminiscent of the Twilight movies. That series relies heavily on Jacob and Edward’s physiques to sell seats. But while half-naked Twilight characters plaster promotional materials for that franchise, the recent trailers for Deathly Hallows showed not one second of the allegedly raunchy scene in question, which I thought was a faithful, if surprising, depiction of its portrayal in the books. Certainly the recent Harry Potter movie featured a heightened level of sexuality, but there is a sharp distinction between reliance on sex to sell tickets and the use of a supercharged scene to draw out the emotions of the characters on screen and deepen the spell of the storytelling. 

Logan Anbinder

Junior

Philosophy and Physics

Captain, University of Maryland Quidditch

Red, white and blue tea

In his Nov. 30 column, “The tea party: More than just noise,” Michael Casiano is very critical of the tea party movement and its ideology. I believe his criticism is unfair.

He begins by discussing the tea party’s resistance to the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, a proposed piece of legislation that would benefit students who are illegally maintaining a residence in the United States. He provides a lot of criticism regarding the types of arguments made, but he doesn’t actually state why the group is against this piece of legislation. Tea party supporters don’t like this bill because it provides illegal immigrants with opportunities they shouldn’t receive. They aren’t here legally and they don’t pay taxes (obviously excluding the sales tax), so why should they benefit from our educational system on the taxpayer’s dime, especially when there are legal students in this country who can’t afford higher education? The tea party’s reasons for disdain are not ridiculous, despite Casiano’s attempts at vilifying the group over this issue.

Also, what is so ridiculous about a group that promotes the idea that the United States is the best country in the world? After all, it is — by a long shot. In fact, I think what’s more disturbing is that Casiano desires the idea of American exceptionalism to “slowly diminish into the marshes and swamplands of the country.” It’s too bad he feels that way. But one thing I’ve noticed about those who are quick to criticize this country is that they don’t often understand what it’s like to live anywhere else in the world.

The only thing disturbing about the tea party is that its popularity isn’t increasing at a quicker rate. Make no mistake, though, the group’s popularity is increasing rapidly. But despite what Casiano and other opponents of the movement like to believe, the tea party is not driven by racism. They aren’t just conservatives. They are just a group that is tired of big government and the ridiculous spending that has come with the Obama administration. Living in the United States is nothing to be ashamed of; it should be considered an honor and a privilege. The tea party understands and promotes that message. Maybe it’s the group’s opponents that are a threat to America.

Kevin Hannigan

Senior

Communication