With Melo Trimble’s return to College Park and Justin Jackson’s commitment, Maryland basketball is in better shape for the 2016-17 season than it was a week ago.

However, the Terps are still losing four starters from last year’s Sweet 16 team. Are the additions of Jackson, Kevin Huerter, Anthony Cowan, L.G. Gill, Micah Thomas and the return of Trimble enough for basketball writers to believe they’ll be back in the Top 25 this season? It depends on who you ask.

Joe Lunardi’s bracketology

ESPN’s Joe Lunardi has the Terps as a No. 6 seed in his way-too-early 2017 NCAA Tournament bracket. Maryland was a No. 5 seed this past season and a No. 4 seed in the 2015 tournament.

The Big Lead

Maryland comes in at No. 16 in Jason McIntyre’s newest rankings. McIntyre justifies Maryland’s position based on the return of its point guard.

“Trimble’s good enough to keep this team in the Top 25.”

ESPN

Eamonn Brennan has Maryland sitting at No. 18 in his latest rankings. Brennan noted that it’d be easier to rank Maryland in his top 25 if Robert Carter had stayed. However, he believes for now that Trimble coming back does enough to put the Terps in his top 25.

The idea of a fully healthy Trimble rediscovering his shot and operating in a more guard-oriented system is persuasive enough for now.” Brennan said.

NBC Sports

Rob Dauster slots Maryland at No. 22 in his most recent rankings. While Dauster has Maryland in his top 25, he admits that he thinks the ranking “may still be somewhat high.” It’s worth noting that these rankings came out before the Jackson news, so Dauster might be higher on the Terps the next time a poll comes around.

247Sports

Maryland didn’t quite make the cut according to Kevin Flaherty’s top 25. The Terps were included in the category of “ten others considered,” putting their ranking at approximately No. 32.

CBS Sports

Gary Parrish is the least optimistic for Maryland out of everyone here. Parrish does not include Maryland anywhere in his rankings.