BLOOMINGTON, INDIANA — Mark Turgeon spun and pulled his foot back, ready to kick something. The Terrapins men’s basketball coach eyed the scorer’s table but composed himself. He was fed up watching his team fail to get back in transition.

The Terps trimmed a 17-point deficit to nine in just more than two minutes early in the second half Sunday. They had momentum for the first time since the opening 10 minutes of the game. But they gave it away quicker than they’d seized it.

Indiana forward Troy Williams raced out after the Terps converted a layup. No one picked him up on the left wing as he flushed a dunk through contact for a three-point play that sapped the Terps’ energy and left Turgeon furious on the sideline.

It was part of 16 fast-break points the No. 18 Terps allowed in their 80-62 loss to No. 10 Indiana at Assembly Hall. The 16 points are tied for the second most the Terps have allowed through 31 games this season.

“We know that they run and they get out on every break, makes and misses,” guard Rasheed Sulaimon said. “Everyone got tired over the course of the game.”

The inability to get back on Williams’ dunk was perhaps the Terps’ most egregious transition defense of the night. Guard Melo Trimble attributed some of the Terps’ struggles to being “so focused on crashing the offensive boards and not getting back on defense.”

But no one was crashing the boards three minutes into the second half. Forward Robert Carter Jr. missed the wide-open dunk but corralled his own miss to finish the layup. By the time the ball fell through the hoop, all four of Carter’s teammates on the court were outside of Indiana’s three-point arc.

It didn’t matter, though. As the Terps turned to defend Indiana, the ball was already in flight to Williams where no one else was standing on the left side. Carter, who had the farthest to run after his basket, was the closest to stopping him.

“We didn’t do too good of a job communicating on defense, and it showed,” Trimble said.

A season ago, the Terps met Indiana three times but were able to hold the Hoosiers in check in transition. While dynamic guard Yogi Ferrell gave them fits in the half court, they contained Indiana’s speed en route to winning two of the three matchups.

The whole Hoosiers squad was outrunning them Sunday. Five different players recorded fast-break points, with Williams pacing the team with six points in transition.

“Very fast,” Turgeon said of Indiana. “Speed gave us problems.”

The fifth-year coach said the Hoosiers can sub more than he can, which was one of the reasons the Terps appeared fatigued at times throughout the contest.

But even when they appeared to have energy and momentum early in the second half, they forgot Williams on the left wing. The Terps would never get closer than nine the rest of the way, even with a stout half-court defensive effort.

“When we got our defense set, we were good enough,” Turgeon said. “Just our transition defense wasn’t good enough.”