A month ago, the Terrapins men’s basketball team saw how quickly end-of-game elation can turn to heartbreak.

The game after guard Melo Trimble drilled a deep 3-pointer in the final seconds to lift the Terps to a 63-60 win at Wisconsin on Jan. 9, guard Rasheed Sulaimon’s game-tying 3-pointer bounced off the rim.

While the No. 2 Terps have a tendency to play tight games, the sequence marked two of the three instances they’ve had a last-second shot to tie or win the contest. Entering Saturday’s rematch with the Badgers, the Terps are confident they have a wealth of options if the situation presents itself again.

“I don’t think anyone is shy from the moment,” Sulaimon said. “When it comes to the pressure situations like that, it’s not I’m taking this shot. It’s Maryland is taking this shot and we are trying to win this game.”

In his three seasons in College Park, former guard Dez Wells developed a reputation as the Terps’ go-to threat in the waning moments. But his graduation left that role unfilled.

Though sophomore phenom Melo Trimble appears to have latched onto that responsibility, coach Mark Turgeon believes his entire starting five has what it takes to hoist that pressure shot.

“You either have it or you don’t. I think I got a bunch of guys like that,” Turgeon said. We’ve got a lot of players that like those situations. That’s why we’ve won a lot of close games. It’s good to have those kind of guys that thrive in those moments.”

Still, Trimble, the team’s point guard, seemingly remains the strong choice down the stretch.

After he sunk the long ball against the Badgers (15-9, 7-4) on Jan. 9, he was in the exact situation in Xfinity Center on Jan. 19 against Northwestern. Again he pulled up from behind the arc, but this time it fell short. His spirit didn’t waver, though, and he delivered clutch plays in the extra period to help the Terps (22-3, 10-2 Big Ten) to a 62-56 win.

“I’m a very confident player,” Trimble said. “My teammates believe in me. … We’ve been in a lot of close games down the stretch and my teammates always look for me in the huddles during the dead ball to say something and hopefully bring the team together and do great things.”

As for Sulaimon, his miss against the Wolverines drove him to work harder. He said he wants to make sure that if that situation presents itself again, he’ll be more equipped to convert.

“Michael Jordan, probably one of the best closers, missed probably more shots than he made down the stretch,” Sulaimon said. “But you just have the confidence to continue to shoot them.”

The luxury of having multiple guys who want the ball in their hand with the game on the line “makes us great,” forward Robert Carter Jr. said. Unlike Trimble and Sulaimon, he hasn’t had that chance yet with the Terps.

But it’s not an unfamiliar experience.

“I’ve been taking the last shot since I started playing basketball,” Carter said. “I kind of fell into that role, so I just think about myself making that shot.”

On a squad where the starters all grew up used to being “the guy” on their respective teams, Carter said Turgeon can turn to whoever has the hot hand at the time.

He hasn’t needed to make that choice since the Wildcats visited College Park, but the Terps have learned from the previous times.

The good.

And the bad.

“Everyone hates failure, but you can learn a lot from it,” Sulaimon said. “If that opportunity ever arises again, I’m going to make sure I’m prepared and I’m well-equipped and confident enough to take that shot again.”