Entering its matchup with No. 4 Notre Dame on Saturday, the Maryland men’s lacrosse team had not lost a regular season game since March 5, 2016. That loss came against the Fighting Irish in Costa Mesa, California.

Almost one year later, the Terps traveled to South Bend, Indiana, for a rematch, hoping to put last season’s 9-4 result behind them.

Instead, No. 1 Maryland was unable to penetrate a stout Notre Dame defense in a 5-4 defeat.

“We’re obviously disappointed with the final result,” coach John Tillman said. “When you hold a team to five goals, your expectation is that you’ll be able to win that game.”

Attackman Matt Rambo, who entered the contest with 22 points, managed just one against the Fighting Irish and did not register a goal for the first time this year.

Meanwhile, preseason All-American faceoff specialist Austin Henningsen went 4-for-13 in the X, continuing an inconsistent start to the season. Tillman did not blame the Northport, New York, native for the team’s struggles with draws, however, commenting that Henningsen’s teammates did not do a good job of picking up ground balls.

“We didn’t face off the way we would have liked,” Tillman said. “Not even just in the X, but also on the wings.”

In their first four games of the season, the Terps (4-1) notched 18 first-quarter goals. But against Notre Dame, the squad failed to score in the opening frame.

Over the first 30 minutes, the Fighting Irish (3-0) out-shot Maryland, 17-8, and caused nine turnovers. Tillman credited Notre Dame for its aggressive defense, but added many of the Terps’ turnovers were “self-inflicted wounds.”

Aside from a first quarter man-up opportunity after an illegal procedure against Notre Dame, when Rambo hit the side of the net with a close-range shot, Maryland struggled to find offensive rhythm.

But goalkeeper Dan Morris helped the Terps keep the game close. He saved 10 first-half shots, including a point-blank rejection in the second period with the Fighting Irish up a man.

Following the stop, Maryland took a 1-0 lead. Attackman Colin Heacock fed attackman Dylan Maltz, who was cutting in front of the net, to notch his eighth assist of the year. The senior had 12 assists in 20 games last season.

Notre Dame controlled the remainder of the period, however, scoring consecutive goals to bring a 2-1 advantage into intermission.

Heacock evened the score in the third quarter with a powerful left-handed shot from the right side, but the Fighting Irish responded with a goal 48 seconds later.

After midfielder Connor Kelly scored again to tie the game at three, Notre Dame scored 22 seconds later to regain the lead.

Following the first quick response by the Fighting Irish, defender Tim Muller put his hands on his hips and looked down at the field in disappointment. After the second one, he swept his stick toward the ground and shouted.

Down two goals in the final period, Kelly recorded his second goal with 18 seconds remaining. Henningsen won the ensuing face off but lost the ball after a Fighting Irish player knocked him to the ground with a body check, sealing the defeat.

Though the team was unhappy with its second loss to Notre Dame in two years, Tillman emphasized positives.

“We had a good defensive effort,” Tillman said. “They played very hard today … We’ve just got to take a look at the film with the guys and go over some things. Learn from it, grow from it and keep it moving.”