Days after University of Maryland President Darryll Pines announced a two-week delay to the start of in-person undergraduate instruction, the university announced the upcoming transition to Phase 2 of its plan to resume on-campus research.

Phase 2, characterized as “Intermediate Presence,” will begin Aug. 24. Researchers must submit an updated description of their plans to maintain social distancing, according to Vice President for Research Laurie Locascio’s Wednesday email, and they must be approved by their department’s chair and dean. 

Laboratories and other research spaces will be allowed to function at 50 percent occupancy, according to the email, and must allow for at least 150 square feet per person.

Those returning will also be required to complete a daily symptom monitoring survey.

Faculty, staff and students planning to return to campus must also provide a negative result from a PCR-based COVID-19 test administered no earlier than 14 days before their return to campus. 

According to the email, free on-campus testing will be available in the coming weeks. 

In the email, Locascio also encouraged researchers to conduct their research remotely if possible.

“The health and safety of our entire campus community is most important as we resume our critical research activities,” Locascio wrote.