After bringing in the lowest-ranked class of 2020 in the Big Ten per 247Sports, Maryland men’s basketball coach Mark Turgeon has rebounded to begin the 2021 cycle. It started in May with the signing of Julian Reese, a highly-touted forward from Baltimore. And it continued Wednesday, as the Terps secured four-star shooting guard Ike Cornish, he announced on Twitter.

[Read more: Maryland basketball secures Alabama grad transfer Galin Smith]

With his commitment, Cornish becomes Maryland’s highest-rated player for 2021, ranking as the No. 77 prospect in the nation, according to 247Sports. Reese isn’t far behind, also a recipient of four-star status, and knocking on the door of the top-100 players in the nation.

The Baltimore native figures to be a much greater offensive threat than defensive force in College Park. He averaged 13.3 points per game and 3.6 rebounds per game as a junior at Legacy Early College in Greenville, South Carolina — showing the ability to knock down shots and also attack the rim. His 6-foot-6 frame, complemented by his ability to drive at defenses, appears to have him prepared for significant playing time with the Terps.

[Read more: Maryland basketball adds to 2021 recruiting class, landing four-star PF Julian Reese]

Cornish could be in contention to play a key role in Turgeon’s rotation early on, as Maryland’s depth took a major hit this offseason. Anthony Cowan Jr. graduated and Jalen Smith declared for the NBA draft, while Joshua Tomaic, Ricky Lindo and Serrel Smith all transferred from the program.

And after the upcoming 2020-21 season, projected starters Darryl Morsell and Aaron Wiggins could both be out, with Morsell graduating and Wiggins a candidate to declare early for the NBA draft. Those departures, compounded with a bench that looks thin at the guard position, increased the need to pick up Cornish.

The Terps beat out Georgetown, Xavier, Virginia Tech and Rutgers, among others, in picking up Cornish. Maryland’s recruiting class shoots up to fifth in the country with his commitment, according to 247Sports.